Sunday, March 24, 2013

What this Blog is About

"Not everyone has as much money as you, Greg."

I was taken aback by the venom in her voice. There was real resentment there. It was a first date, and I was taking her up to the apartment to make ice cream sculptures after commenting that I didn't care for a particular vehicle in the parking garage.

Hers was the most recent amongst a long list of similar statements I'd heard. After all, I had become known for my flashy suits, extravagant watches, designer jeans, tailored shirts, expensive hobbies, exotic car, and other conspicuous displays of wealth.

To the untrained eye, I was a part-time college student with a seemingly inexhaustible supply of cash and an equally inexhaustible ego. It was understandable that someone might resent me for that. I seemed to be just another rich douchebag.

Except I wasn't. I was broke, insecure, and yearning for the approval of friends and family.

Like Fitzgerald's Gatsby, I had compromised my principles and lost myself in trying to fit in with a crowd that wasn't mine. I had spent five years breaking the bank, taking out loans, and living beyond my means to project a false image that was increasingly unlikeable to an increasing number of people.

This entire exercise was costing me a fortune that I didn't have. I didn't even know how much I owed to anyone anymore.

I looked at my beautiful car while we waited for the elevator and began wondering what I was doing with my life.

When was the last time I even looked at my net worth? How long can I keep this up? I should have a raise coming, but what if it doesn't come? What if I lose my job? What if I meet the woman of my dreams? Will she still want me after she finds out I have no money?

Over the following weeks I kept thinking about this and realized I needed to get back in control of my life.

My name is Greg Vandagriff. I'm a 28 year-old college student working full-time and living in Provo, Utah. At the beginning of this month, I had over $80,000 in debt.

The purpose of this blog is to share my ongoing journey in getting out of debt and help motivate me in doing so by providing a degree of accountability. I intend to write at least one brief post a week until I'm debt-free. I anticipate that this process will take years.

It's going to be brutal but I'm committed.

Am I worried what others will think of me for revealing the extent of my financial failures? 

A little, but as you will soon see, striving for the approval of my peers is what got me into this hole to begin with. When people thought I had money, it didn't really make me any happier, so why bother pretending? I might as well make something good from this debacle.

The approval of others doesn't pay my bills.

It is my hope that this blog will help others escape the trap of embracing unchecked materialism and debt, especially those who think "the good life" is worth going into debt for (hint: it's not). 

My next post will discuss how and why I started living beyond my means. Like most good stories, it involves beautiful women, Lamborghinis, and punching holes in the wall.

7 comments:

  1. I'm soooo excited for this. And please.. be your cynical brilliant self. I promise I'm not the only one here supporting you. Go show us all how it's done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a Greg Vandagriff fan since 2007. Pretty excited about this.

    How do I follow your blog? Haha. I don't know much about this blog business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jershon! Glad to have you reading. Truth be told, I'm not 100% positive myself. I think if you go to your "blogger dashboard" by clicking on the big b in the top left when you're logged into blogger, you can add this blog to your reading list. Or you can just check back periodically, I'll probably share posts to facebook every now and then. These first few weeks will probably have more posts than later on, eventually I plan to just do sort of a status report every sunday.

      Delete
  3. You're self-honesty is what makes you a funny guy.
    I wish you the best of luck on this sensible & sucky quest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving this, I appreciate your willingness to share, and I know I will learn a lot from you, not only i have already by some of your examples, I feel privileged that at one point I had the opportunity to be your roommate and not every Guatemalan has that chance. I am a fan of this already. Go Greg!!!!

    ReplyDelete